Led by Janet Byron
Co-sponsored by the Berkeley Path Wanderers Association
The Hillside Club was formed in the 1890s to promote the principles of designing homes and neighborhoods in harmony with nature. In 1903 the club—whose members included Bernard and Annie Maybeck, John Galen Howard, and Charles Keeler—began a street improvement project in the hills north of the UC campus to promote this concept. Instead of the planned grid, the neighborhood was redesigned with winding streets and rounded corners, staircases made of textured concrete, and an open Strawberry Creek with redwoods. This walk will tour the Daley’s Scenic Park Improvement area and several of its historic homes. This ~1.5-mile walk includes some steep hills, streets, and stairs.
Sign up on Eventbrite, by mail, or in person at the museum.
(Photo of Allenoke by Robert E. Johnson)